REMEDIES is an Horizon Europe Innovation Action creating innovative solutions and technologies to monitor, collect, prevent and valorise (micro)plastic from our oceans. Our approach is rooted in science, circularity, and community engagement aiming to protect water ecosystems, reduce plastic pollution and develop a climate-neutral blue economy. In the next 4 years, 23 Partners from 12 countries will showcase 12 breakthrough innovations from validation and demonstration, to system prototyping in operational environments. The innovative solutions will be tested in 8 Mediterranean countries and replicated in 33 new sites in order to scale them across the whole Mediterranean.
The most promising aspect of REMEDIES is the activation of citizens, especially those affected by plastic pollution directly on the shorelines. They will be informed, educated, and guided to becoming plastic entrepreneurs.
These REMEDIES will be reached through the following specific objectives:
- To monitor macro- and microplastic waste in 8 Mediterranean areas.
- To collect and valorize>422 tons of plastic litter.
- To prevent the further deposition of an equivalent of >61 tons of plastic.
- To reach >250,000 people and activate >2,000 citizens.
- To scale and replicate zero-waste innovations in ~50 more sites.
The REMEDIES consortium is coordinated by the National Institute of Chemistry from Slovenia and builds its innovation actions around the three main pillars of monitoring plastic litter, its collection, and valorization, including the prevention of the distribution of non-degradable plastics. A total of 12 breakthrough innovations will be showcased in the next four years as the project focuses on technology readiness level from validation and demonstration in the relevant environment to system prototype demonstration in the operational environment (i.e. TRL 5-7). All innovative solutions will be tested in 9 demonstration sites in 8 Mediterranean countries. After validation, they will be scaled up in 33 new sites in order to implement them across the whole Mediterranean.
The role of alchemia-nova
Alchemia-nova is the leader of WP3: Circular Solutions for the Prevention of plastic waste. These solutions developed within WP3 aim to develop approachable pathways for avoiding single-use plastic items in the first place by establish washing as a service with heat and water recovery for reusing cups and bottles, and citizen-science zero-waste cosmetic packaging workshops, Deploy supply chains for zero waste solutions across all demos and replications.
National Institute of Chemistry (Slovenia)
- University of Maribor (UM) – UNI Slovenia
- Alchemia-nova Greece (ANGR) – SME Greece
- Clera.One (CLERA) – SME Slovenia
- Wasser 3.0 (W30) – NPO Germany
- Mold Srl (RC) – SME Italy
- Bio-Mi (BMI) – SME Croatia
- Cittadini (CIT) – SME Italy
- Next Technology Tecnotessile (NTT) – RTD Italy
- AITIIP (AITP) – RTD Spain
- Venice Lagoon Plastic Free (VLPF) – NGO Italy
- CIBOS Innovation (CIB) – SME Greece
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR) – RTD Italy
- Vlaamse Instelling voor Technologisch Onderzoek (VITO) – RTD Belgium
- Small Islands Organisation (SMILO) – NPO France
- Environmental & Territorial Management Institute (ETMI) – NGO Albania
- Exit Foundation (EXIT) – NPO Serbia
- National Technical University of Athens (NTUA) – UNI Greece
- Marine Conservation Greece (MCG) – SME Greece
- Impact Hub Athens (IHA) – NPO Greece
- F6S Network Ireland Ltd (F6S) – SME Ireland
- Mohammed First University (MOH) – UNI Morocco
- Infordata (INFOR) – SME Italy
Topic: Mediterranean sea basin lighthouse – actions to prevent, minimize and remediate litter and plastic pollution
Project starting date: 15 December 2022
Project duration: 48 months
Project website: –
Call: Capacity Building in the field of Youth (ERASMUS-YOUTH-2022-CB)
Type of action: HORIZON Innovation Actions
Granting authority: EUROPEAN CLIMATE, INFRASTRUCTURE AND ENVIRONMENT EXECUTIVE AGENCY (CINEA)